2012 Hidden Thoughts of LD Art Competition
The National Center for Learning Disabilities (NCLD) is looking for self-portraits that capture what life is like for individuals with learning disabilities (LD). What story does your portrait tell? Share with us expressions of your hopes, dreams, struggles and successes. Show us what the world is like through your eyes. Help us to celebrate the unique vision of children and adults affected by LD!
Selected submissions may be showcased on our website. Three prizes will be awarded: A grand prize award of $500 and two runners-up awards of $200 each. Prizes will be awarded for outstanding works in each of the following categories:
- Children: 4-12 years old
- Teens: 13-17 years old
- Adults: 18 and older
To enter, please send NCLD the artwork(s), a photo of the artist, a short paragraph (three to five sentences) written by the artist detailing his or her experience with LD, and a completed submission and release form. See below for more details on submission requirements and process.
Entries must be received no later than Monday, April 16, 2012.
Rules and Requirements
Winners must provide relevant documentation of a specific learning disability prior to receiving the award.
Entries must include:
- A work of art, photograph, poem, essay, short story, video, website link, blog, or other form of multimedia;
- A photo of the artist. High-resolution digital photos in JPEG or TIFF format are preferred, but not required;
- A brief statement (3-5 sentences) written by the artist detailing their experience with LD; and
- A completed submission and release form.
Works can be submitted in the following manner:
Winners will be notified by May 31, 2012.
- Artwork – on paper, canvas, or poster board, no larger than 22" x 28"; can be a drawing, painting, collage, etc. Any medium can be used: paint, cloth, crayon, etc.
- Poetry – on regular 8 1/2" x 11" paper, poster board, or in digital format.
- Essays and short stories – on regular 8 1/2" x 11" paper or in digital format and should be five (5) pages or fewer in length.
- Songs/Videos – on CD or DVD, or by providing a URL link.
- Personal Web site and blog – URL link(s) should be sent with a short description of their purpose and content.
- Miscellaneous multimedia – contact NCLD before submission to discuss terms and submission instructions.
Each entry MUST be accompanied by a completed submission and release form. Please indicate the ages of all participants. Entries submitted without a completed release form will not be considered. All submitted work becomes sole property of NCLD. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of participants, submissions will not be returned.
Please submit all entries through one of these channels:
- Online: Submit your entry here
- By mail:
National Center for Learning Disabilities
Attn: NCLD Hidden Thoughts of LD Art Competition
381 Park Avenue South, Suite 1401
New York, NY 10016
- By fax: 212-545-9665
If you are mailing or faxing your submission, download the form here
If you have any questions, or for more information, please contact Itai Boublil at 646-616-1205 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for all entries is Monday, April 16, 2012.
Share on Facebook