After I’m Gone Workshop: Save the Date - April 22-23, 2020
Disability Network Northern Michigan is excited to present the After I'm Gone workshop which will be held on April 22nd and 23rd from 10 am to 4 pm.
This two-day free workshop is designed to assist families who have a child or an adult with a disability in planning for their future when the caregiver is no longer able to provide care. An informational speaker from The Arc of Northwest Wayne County will be present and sharing information on planning and caregiving topics.
- Person Centered Planning and Self Determination: How to use this process to support a loved one with a disability living the life they desire in the community.
- Social Security, Medicaid, and Adult Home Help Programs: An explanation and resource discussion about programs and services available for a loved one with a disability including SSI, SSDI, Medicaid, Food Assistance and Adult Home Help.
- Supporting People in Decision Making (alternatives to guardianship): Various options for supporting people in making important decisions, including Power of Attorney, Representative Payee, and Trusts.
- Estate Planning: A discussion on the importance of establishing an estate plan to handle the future needs of a loved one with a disability, including Special Needs Trusts, ABLE Account, Power of Attorney, and Patient Advocate Designations, Wills and Letter of Intent.
- Mental Health Services/Home and Community Based Services: Description of Home and Community Based Services Waiver’s Final Rule that aims to improve the experiences of people receiving mental health services by helping them access a more integrated community. How to use Medicaid Services to be productive, become more independent and lead a meaningful life.
Workshop Dates, Times and Location:
- Wednesday, April 22nd, from 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Thursday, April 23rd, from 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
For more information and to RSVP for this workshop contact Nicole Miller at 231.922.0903, ext. 318 or email her at Nicole@disabilitynetwork.net.
Testimonials from participants of the April 2018 Workshop:
- That was probably one of the most beneficial workshops we have ever attended! We learned so much! And it was attended by everyone just like us, desperate for information for our loved ones!! We sometimes feel so left our up here in northern Michigan! This workshop empowered us and gave us so much information. We would definitely like to attend another! Thanks, Nancy
- I feel the workshop helped in that we were able to decide whether or not to go after guardianship. We had been on the fence for years and the workshop helped us decide that this was not for us. Thanks for asking and I hope you can pull it off for next year. Janet Kivell
- I am a Nurse with the Benzie Leelanau District Health Department. I came to the workshop to gain knowledge about my Children’s Special Healthcare Services clients/families and their needs as children age out of our program at age 21. The information was very clearly given and the presenters were knowledgeable and very helpful. Thanks for offering this program to parents and I believe it would be very beneficial to offer it again. Sincerely, Diane Stier RN BLDHD CSHCS
Share on Facebook