Collaborative Series Presents Annie's Ghosts
Northern Lakes (NLCMH) and the Traverse Area District Library (TADL) are teaming up to present a series of local events April 3-12, 2014 to recognize the 2013-2014 Great Michigan Read, Annie’s Ghosts: A Journey Into a Family Secret, by journalist and Detroit native Steve Luxenberg. The collaborative series, taking place at the Woodmere (Main) Branch, will feature an afternoon author event with Luxenberg.
As last October marked the 50th anniversary of the Community Mental Health Act, it is especially timely to discuss the themes presented in Annie’s Ghosts. We now provide care in the community for many people who, 50 years ago, would have spent a large portion of their lives in large state institutions. Too often families would be separated, family relationships lost, and hopes and dreams not realized.
The series includes:
- Thursday, April 3, 7:oo PM – Book Group Discussion facilitated by NLCMH and TADL staff.
- Monday, April 7, 4:00 PM – Family Program on Love Someone Different, in the Youth Services area.
- Monday, April 7, 7:00 PM – Special Panel Discussion featuring NLCMH Certified Peer Support Specialists Beverly Preston-Weekley and Susan Bonanni, Recovery Specialist Katie Deller, Emergency Services/Clinical Supervisor Bradley Will, Community Relations Cynthia Petersen, and Munson Behavioral Health Director Terri Kelty.
- Wednesday, April 9, 11:00 AM – Author Event with Steve Luxenberg. The author will speak about the book, his family, stigma, institutions versus community care.
- Thursday, April 10, 6:30 PM – Local author talk on the book Traverse City State Hospital Training School for Nurses with local author and retired nurse, Virginia LeClaire.
All programs are free, open to the public, and take place at the Main Branch of the Traverse Area District Library located at 610 Woodmere Ave., in Traverse City.
Click here for the flyer.
Share on Facebook