Developmental Disabilities Council taking Legislators to Work
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Aug. 30, 2018
CONTACT: Lynn Sutfin, 517-241-2112, Sutfinl1@michigan.gov
Developmental Disabilities Council taking legislators to work
to highlight Disability Employment Awareness Month
LANSING, Mich. – To celebrate the achievements of people with disabilities in employment, the Michigan Developmental Disabilities Council is hosting “Take Your Legislator to Work” events across the state in advance of Disability Employment Awareness Month.
Legislators will have the opportunity to job shadow a constituent with a disability at their place of employment. Legislators will also be able to tour their workplace, meet co-workers and hear why employment is important to their constituent.
“These visits will demonstrate the value of community-integrated employment for employers and people with disabilities in Michigan,” said Vendella Collins, Developmental Disabilities Council executive director. “This campaign highlights how people with disabilities strengthen the workforce, promote diversity, increase talent in the field, expand the tax base and lower poverty rates.”
Take Your Legislator to Work visits are scheduled:
- Friday, Aug. 31, 3 p.m. – Sen. Margaret O’Brien (R-Portage) will job shadow Calvin Roux at Celebration Cinema, 6600 Ring Road, Portage.
- Monday, Sept. 10, 10 a.m. – Sen. Jim Stamas (R-Midland) will job shadow Cody Packard at Greater Michigan Construction Academy, 7730 W. Wackerly St., Midland.
- Monday, Sept. 10, 12:30 p.m. – Sen. Jim Stamas (R-Midland) will job shadow Nicholas Johnson at Grand Traverse Pie Company, 2600 N. Saginaw Road, Midland.
- Wednesday, Sept. 12, 4 p.m. – Sen. Judy Emmons (R-Sheridan) and Rep. Michele Hoitenga (R-Manton) will job shadow Levi Arrington at Meijer, 15400 Waldron Way, Big Rapids.
- Friday, Sept. 14, 11 a.m. – Sen. Hoon-Yung Hopgood (D-Taylor) and Rep. Erika Geiss (D-Taylor) will job shadow Ryan Powers at Matador Restaurant, 26747 Van Born, Taylor.
- Friday, Sept. 14, 1 p.m. – Sen. Tom Casperson (R-Escanaba) and Rep. Beau Matthew Lafave (R-Iron Mountain) will job shadow Chris Herbert at McDonald’s, 1140 South Stephenson, Iron Mountain.
- Monday, Sept. 17, 10 a.m. – Sen. Judy Emmons (R-Sheridan) will job shadow Elliet West at Campbell Industrial Force, 1380 Industrial Park Dr., Edmore.
- Monday, Sept. 17, 4:30 p.m. – Sen Judy Emmons (R-Sheridan) will job shadow Shannon Landry at Clare County Transit Corporation, 1473 Transportation Dr., Harrison.
- Friday, Sept. 28, 10 a.m. – Rep. Aaron Miller (R-Sturgis) will job shadow Brenda Anselmo at Kure Domes and Mirrors, 1139 Haines Blvd., Sturgis.
The Michigan Developmental Disabilities Council, housed in the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, is an advocacy organization that helps people with developmental disabilities have the opportunities and support to achieve their full potential and life dreams.
# # #
Share on Facebook