The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) was signed by the President at the White House on Tuesday, July 22, 2014.
Both the House and Senate passed the bipartisan and bicameral Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act. The Senate passed WIOA by a vote of 95-3 and the House passed it by a vote of 415-6.
The Rehabilitation Act is contained in WIOA. Specifically, improvements to Independent Living in this bill include:
• The establishment of the Independent Living Administration in the Administration for Community Living (ACL) within the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
• Transition will be added as a fifth core service
• SILC activities will be improved and include resource development
• SPIL sign-off will now include CIL Directors
• States will choose their ‘designated state entity’ (formerly known as the DSU). The DSUs will remain the same for the “723 states” of Massachusetts and Minnesota.
Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Back to News